Sunday, November 9, 2008

Hearts at Home

I traveled with some friends this weekend to a Hearts at Home conference in Rochester, MN. Hearts at Home is an organization that encourages, educates, and equips women in the profession of motherhood. Conferences are held twice a year, one in Peoria and one in Rochester. This is the third one I have been to since becoming a mom. I always come home refreshed and equiped to be a better mom and wife. This year several good friends from the area attended, along with my friends Jamie Steele from Dubuque and Julie Werling from Indianola. Jamie and Julie used to live in the area, but have both moved away in the last few years. It was so much fun to hangout with them and catch up on life. The hotel and shopping time on Friday were just as theraputic (if not more) than the mommy sessions I attended on Saturday. I attended 4 encouraging sessions titled Worn Out Mom, Love for a Lifetime (marriage), Surviving Motherhood without losing your cool!, and A Mother's Touch. I came home with lots of practical advice and new ideas to incorporate into our life. My kids have been telling me that I am so much nicer today. They said, "We're glad you went to a mommy conference, because now you are nicer." (We'll see how long that lasts!!)

This is the crew.

We got to eat several meals WITHOUT sharing our plates!

Christian comedian-Ken Davis-was a guest. This is a picture of him pointing to his mom in the crowd.

I even caught Julie, Jamie, and Mindy laughing!!!

The is me, Julie, and Jamie. Julie is a mom of 4 kids ages 7,6,5,4. She is a great encouragement to me. Jamie is a mom of 2 ages 4,2. She is also currently hosting two high school foreign exchange students in her home. She has an awesome heart for serving the Lord and others.

Here are a few encouraging tips that I am holding close to me...

1)If you were a perfect parent, it would eliminate the childs need for God.
2)Ask yourself,"Will this matter in 15 years?" If so, then fight for it. If no, then let it Go.
3) Ask God everyday,"Restore Me, Lord."
4) Practice joy and choose it daily. Be intentional and delightful.
5) Throw out the tape recorder of default negative messages that plays over and over in your head. Satan wants you to believe that you are a bad mom.
6) Listen as much as you speak.
7) A good marriage is not so much about marrying the right person as it is about becoming the right person.
8)Keep life simple and Biblical.
9) Incorporate a devotional/dessert night once a week for your family.
10) Kiss your hubby for 20 sec. a day and hug your kids 12 times a day (that's 48 hugs for me to give out in a day to my kids)!!!

If you'd like to check out more info. on this ministry see the website.
www.hearts-at-home.org

2 comments:

Brian & Erin Uglum said...

Thanks for posting those encouraging tips...I could have stopped after the first one. I really needed to hear that! I love that you are in my life!

Jill said...

I'm so glad you were able to join us at the Hearts conference! I loved your post!